Welcome to Awakenings

Life IS history in the making. Every word we say, everything we do becomes history the moment it is said or done. Life void of memories leaves nothing but emptiness. For those who might consider history boring, think again: It is who we are, what we do and why we are here. We are certainly individuals in our thoughts and deeds but we all germinated from seeds planted long, long ago.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Just Stamp It!

Postage stamps increased AGAIN in January to 46 cents. If you have any of those 45-cent stamps on hand, add the penny stamp and send it on! Both sending and receiving that hand-written note, invitation, letter or card are so much more personal that the e-mail or e-card. Write it out in your own words and just stamp it!

For a wee bit of nostalgia, here is a look into the past...


The Penny Black, the world’s first postage stamp  
Issued in Britain on 1 May 1840, for official use from 6 May of that year

 The Two Penny Blue or The Two Pence Blue 
 The world’s second official postage stamp, issued after the Penny Black.

Have you ever wondered about the complete scene surrounding that which is depicted on a stamp? A few stamps below were located via vlynx @Tumblr.






Ah-h-h-h! If we had only known then what we know now, we would have all become stamp collectors!

Do you perhaps still send out the hand-written letters and cards? Would love to hear from you. . .


7 comments:

  1. I have not sent a letter in years. Packages, yes. Until this year, Garry sent cards at Christmas, but this year, he gave up. He still sends birthday cards, but aside from the letters he sent me when we were courting, I do not believe he has ever written a letter to anyone. At least not that he or I can remember. I used to send letters, but then came email and away went letters! I admit that I don't really miss them. I'm sure I should, but I really don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharla, what an interesting blog about stamps. Such a part of history and Americana, both which I know you love.
    Dicy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post about stamps. My co-author and I have written snail mail letters for decades, and we occasionally still do. But with email, we sure don't mail letters as often as we once did. I still think it's fun to see a hand-addressed envelope in the mail among the advertisements and bills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reminder of some things like getting the first love letter in my life... it was written on paper with the good old stamp in the front...

    Thank you for waking this memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for this note. I was at a museum today when a comment was made about how amazing it was to see this document HAND written. (It actually related to a gift mad
    e to an ancestor of mine in the 14/15th century) of course, there was no other way then compare to today

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is a philatelist. :) Fun & interesting hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jadwal Tarung Ayam SV388 6 Februari 2019 - Rabu, Bogor 6 Februari 2019 – Pada Hari Tersebut Akan Di Laksanakan Berbagai Pertandingan Sabung Ayam Secara Live di Arena Sabung Ayam Thailand.

    Agen Sabung Ayam - Customer Service kami di Livechat, Line, BBM, Yahoo Messenger, dan Whatsapp sekalipun. Sudah Jelas Sampai Sini, Terima Kasih Telah Membaca Artikel AgenSabungAyam.com Yang Berjudul Jadwal Tarung Ayam SV388 6 Februari 2019.

    Untuk Info Lebih Lanjut Bisa Hub kami Di :
    wechat : bolavita
    line : cs_bolavita
    whatsapp : +628122222995
    BBM: BOLAVITA

    ReplyDelete